When George Eastman recognized the value of the Boston Camera Mfg. Company's Bull's-Eye he opted to copy the design and offer it under the name “Bullet.” Once he bought out the Boston Company in 1895, he took ownership of the Bull's-Eye trade name and proceeded to use it, while continuing to also market cameras under the Bullet name.
Both the Bull's-Eye and Bullet cameras were sold in a 'standard' configuration, but also as a more expensive "Special." The difference was that the Specials had superior lenses, shutters, and apertures.
This is the standard version, with a meniscus lens and rotary shutter. What set the Bullet cameras, both standard and special, apart from the Bull's-Eye was that it could use either roll film or glass plates. An internal wooden block, with red window for use with film, could be removed and a plate holder inserted through a door on the side.
This camera features a celluloid simulated ivory dealer plate on the front, reading “Bought at W. Schiller & Co., 7 S. Broadway, St. Louis, Mo.” The original price was $8. Approximately 30,000 were made, up to 1902.
(Kodak would return to the Bullet name in the 1930s.)
(RETURN TO MAIN KODAK PAGE)